Saturday, October 18, 2008

Remember. Never Forget.

Sara Perchan, who I lived with during my time on the mountain, wrote a poem called "Remember. Never Forget." and I feel that it displays much of the emotion I have felt and continue to feel about leaving Uganda, so I decided to share it with you. I think it's quite beautiful and well written.
(by the way, I added some names to fit my personal relationships in parentheses.)

Remember. Never forget.

Where are you, my children? My beautiful children.
Where are you now?
Do you remember me?
Me, Sara (Lauren), your aunt, your sister, your friend.
The one who never came back.
The one who left you on the mountain.

Children.
The days have gone by and I still see your smiles.
Smiles that captured my heart,
I close my eyes, day after day, remembering you.
The images will never leave me.
No one here can understand.
About you.
About the mountain.
About the problems.
About who I really am.

Children.
Not one day has gone by without my thinking of you.
Remembering the mountain.
I will carry the burden of leaving you. My heart aches.
I cannot bear the weight of my decision.
Do you understand why I left?
Does anyone?
Do I?

Children.
I cannot forget.
Namaganda and Charity. My daughters. (David. My son.)
Jackie and Jennifer. My sisters.
(Babra, Shadia and Winnie. My sisters.)
David and Jospeh. My brothers. (Rock and Pius. My brothers.)
I close my eyes and long for you.
For the innocent days before the darkness became too dark too ignore.
For the hope of a future together.
For the prayers of what might have been.

I hope my children will forgive me.

(Remember. Never forget.)
Sara Perchan
October 2008

6 comments:

LC said...

Hi there,

That is such a beautiful poem, thank you so much for sharing. While I've never been to Uganda, I know from talking to people who have that it's a powerful place that stays with you long after you leave.

I'm actually writing on behalf of www.survivorcorps.org who does a lot of work in Uganda helping survivors of war there. There's a great event taking place on Oct 25 that you might want to know about as well. It's called GuluWalk and it's to help raise awareness and funds for Ugandan children who have been left behind. Here's more info if you want to check it out - it's happening in a number of cities across the world! http://www.wherewillyouwalk.com/

Take care!
Lauren

LaurenInUganda said...

I actually participated in GuluWalk last year and will most likely do the same again this year! Thanks! :)

Becky said...

Beautiful and poignant.

LC said...

That's great, Lauren! It's such a powerful event and I can't believe that the first GuluWalk started with just two people in 2005 and has now grown into a worldwide movement! Just shows how important this cause is and how people are drawn to helping raise awareness for these children.

Take care - and I can't wait to hear how your walk goes this year!

Monirah Schep - van den Heuvel said...

I think I understand your feelings...
Every week I still receive some messages or emails and every week I talk with one of the teachers or students at Jireh...
that's wonderful, but oh so difficult, it makes the feeling and the desire to go back as soon as possibles much stronger...
But I hope you are okay, and I am sure the Lord will lead you the ways He has in mind, and I am sure these ways will fit you. You are a beautiful lovely smart girl!
Hope to see you again, in Uganda!
with love,
Monirah

LaurenInUganda said...

Monirah, I would love to catch up with you, if that's possible..
My email address is CrazyFaceJackson@yahoo.com . You should send an email my way!
Thanks for the encouragement! It's so good to know that people understand the way you are feeling and that you aren't entirely alone. I am glad that we were able to share our time at Jireh together. :)